Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Racking the "Smash"

Today I worked on whats left of the "Smash".  As you can see, there are lots of floaters and nasty stuff in there that you don't want to drink like: raisins, dead yeast, flour that seeped out of the wheat, etc. 

Last time I made this stuff, I had a hell of a hard time filtering all 2 gallons of it.  So this time I am trying something different. 

I figure I will strain all of the chunks out and put the Smash in a different bottle and wait for everything to settle down at the bottom.  Kind of like doing a secondary fermentation. 


So here's what I did





I set up a colander over top of a big (1 gal) Pyrex measuring bowl.
I poured some of the Smash into the colander but the raisins where clogging up the neck of the 2 liter bottle.  So I cut the top off of the bottle to eliminate the problem.  Then I dumped the rest of it into the colander






Here you can see all of the malted wheat straining.  The wheat has become rather soft and can be broken open just by squeezing it, revealing some bright white flour.  I let this sit for a little bit as it dripped into the measuring bowl.

Then, I grabbed a sanitized bottle and poured the Smash in.



It looks pretty nasty right now, kinda like a Yahoo or chocolate milk.  But when it clears, it will be a deep reddish brown and pack a kick.

I'm not sure how long this will take to clear up, since I didn't add any chemicals to it.  I will let it sit for a week or two and see how it is doing.

6 comments:

  1. I tried the last one you posted and rushed it so I thin I will wait for the weekend to do this so It doesn't turn out terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that does look really think and creamy like coffee haha, let us know how it turns out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, mate. Thanks! May try something like that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to start this hobby! I love beer. Just need to invest in the startup kit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A week? It's seriously going to take that long? Wow, need a lot of patience for this.

    ReplyDelete